DPW Office | U.S. Green Building Council
Please upgrade your browser. This site requires a newer version to work correctly. Read more

LEED BD+C: New Construction v3 - LEED 2009

DPW Office

1100 Laurel Street
Baton Rouge, LA 70801
United States
Map

LEED Gold 2016

This renovation of a deteriorating historic Baton Rouge building to the sustainable LEED Gold Certified Public Works & Planning Center was accomplished with the help of a $1.3 million Energy Efficiency and Conservation Block Grant from the US Department of Energy, in connection with the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, to fund its sustainability and LEED goals. Key features are high-efficiency, long-lasting site and interior LED lighting with self-adjusting light-level sensors, and a rooftop solar photovoltaic panel array capable of generating 74kW of electricity, enough to light the building free from the power grid, earning it maximum credits for On-Site Renewable Energy and Optimizing Energy Performance over 45%. Cress and Lopresto Architects’ design maintained 95% of the existing structure and envelope, including restored original wood floors and ornate masonry walls, and the renovation materials were American-made, over 20% of Recycled Content and almost all verified Low-Emitting Materials. New vintage-style replica windows preserve the historic character, and their low-e double-paned glass adds to the building’s efficiency with an advanced energy management system, digital controls for air handling units and lights, 40% Water Use Reduction via low-flow fixtures, tankless water heaters, and Enhanced Commissioning. The upgrades could save over $2 million in energy savings over 12-25 years, with additional ease of maintenance.

A longtime presence at 1100 Laurel Street, the neo-gothic Baton Rouge Junior High School was originally designed by Architect Edward Neild and constructed 1922-23, with a 1944 polygonal auditorium addition. After 1967 it became the City Emergency Operations Center and fallout shelter, City Court 1977-1994, was placed on the National Register 1984, and recently held a variety of City/Parish agencies, gradually falling into disrepair and partial occupancy. It was officially reopened in 2012 as the fully functioning facility for the Planning Commission, Permit One Stop Shop, and Architectural and Engineering Services Divisions; and is once again a part of critical infrastructure to remain operational in declared emergencies and storm events. It provides 53,000sf for 150+ persons for $7.1 million cost to the City/Parish, about half as much square feet as new construction. Its urban site along bus routes is blocks from a walkable, historically planned downtown. A parking lot added security access gates, accessible spaces with ramp at the public entrance, spaces for energy-efficient cars, carpooling, and bicycle racks. The project earned all credits for Alternative Transportation, Development Density and Community Connectivity, achieving a total of 63 points and earning LEED Gold certification under the 2009 version of the rating system.

  • Share on Twitter
  • Share on Facebook
  • Share on LinkedIn
  • Print
Project details
Size
47,286 sf
Certified
21 Nov 2016
Data Reporting
Energy Update
Water Update
Transportation Update
Waste Update
Human Experience Update

Powered by Arc: a platform providing LEED projects with a clean and streamlined way to track and monitor performance data.